Working With Your LawyerWorking With Your Lawyer

About Me

Working With Your Lawyer

About ten years ago, I was involved in a bad car accident. Another driver, who happened to be driving drunk at the time, smashed into the car I was driving. In addition to killing my daughter, the accident also left me paralyzed from the waist down. Although the case should have been cut and dry, the insurance company claimed that I was at fault. Fortunately, I worked with a lawyer who was able to fight my case for me. Without his help, I would still be paying off medical bills. I want to spread the word about the good that lawyers can do, which is why I created this website.

Latest Posts

What Factors Determine The Settlement You Get After A Truck Accident?
16 October 2020

Thousands of preventable truck accidents happen ev

3 Tips For Drafting A Buy-Sell Agreement
16 December 2019

Many small companies are started by two or more in

Personal Injury Vehicle Accidents: Who To Hire
3 October 2019

If you live in the United States of America, chanc

Workers' Compensation Claim Denials And What You Can Expect
30 July 2019

Getting hurt at work can cause you serious enough

When You Have Injuries That Are Hard To Define
30 May 2019

A personal injury lawsuit is designed to provide y

Can You Be Sued If Someone Gets Injured On Your Property?

As a property owner, if someone gets hurt on your property, they may be able to sue you for their medical costs and their pain and suffering. There are a lot of things that go into whether or not they can sue you. 

Visitor's Status

One of the big things that goes into whether or not you can be sued by someone who got injured on your property is what their status was. The basic statuses are invitee, licensee, or trespasser. An invitee is someone who has been invited to come onto or into your property, such as if you were operating a business and they were your customer or client. In the case of an invitee, it is assumed that you have taken all reasonable steps to make sure that the invitee will be safe. A licensee is someone who comes onto your property, with your permission, on their own business or as a guest you have invited socially. For example, a meter reader or postal worker would be a licensee. A trespasser is someone who has no permission to come on your property at all and has not been invited. When it comes to a licensee and trespasser, there is nothing that promises that all reasonable care for their safety was taken. 


Your state may require you to place warnings up if there is something that could cause injury to a licensee or even a trespasser. The warnings are about something that you have created and that you know may cause someone to be injured or worse because of that thing. It also has to be something that you actively maintain. For example, if you have a dog that has a history of biting, you would need to post signs that would state that people should beware of your dog. Likewise, if you have a rickety bridge on your property that you know is there and you have chosen to not repair it because you like it the way that it is, you may be required to post a warning on either side of the bridge warning trespassers that the bridge is in poor conditions and that there is a risk they could get injured. 

If someone has been injured on your property and is suing or threatening to sue, you should immediately talk to a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law. They will be able to defend you and help to get rid of any lawsuit.